It feels great to be 43 and often complemented on the health of my skin and asked what my skin regimen is. However, before I say what actually goes ON my skin, it is impossible to talk about skin health without talking about overall nutrition…
Healthy skin is a lot more than just skin deep, so nourishing your skin starts from the inside first. No cream or skin regimen will be a good substitute for a bad diet or lack of sleep and rest. One does not need to be a skin health specialist to say with confidence that what we eat and drink will show itself on the outside too. From personal experience, the moment there is more sugar in my diet, more fat or processed food, especially lack of water or good night’s sleep – my skin will feel it too, not just my overall body, be it digestion, energy levels or else. It is also well known that teenagers who suffer from skin conditions like spots and acne almost always benefit and see skin improvement when decreasing saturated fat and sugar in diet, starting with replacing sugary cereals in the morning with healthier and more balanced breakfast options.
So, my top nutrition tips for healthy skin are:
- Having a nutritious, balanced diet that is:
- low in sugar, especially added sugar, no more than 90 grams per day of total sugars;
- low in saturated and trans fats, high in healthy fats;
- high in protein, especially plant protein;
- high in fibre, with minimum 25 grams of fibre per day (as yummy fruits and veg are fibre rich and also carry nutrients that are essential for our skin’s health);
- I am a firm believer in supplementation and while I have a range of supplements I take, at least a good quality pharmaceutical grade overall Vitamin & Mineral will suffice (cheap stuff will just not do, sorry! You get what you pay for with supplements);
- Optimum hydration:
- Water is the best and minimum 2 litres is advisable, although I try and advise my clients to aim for 3 litres per day;
- Avoiding caffeinated drinks such as teas and coffees and replacing them with herbal teas especially green tea;
- Avoiding alcohol and fizzy, sugary drinks. These are really bad news!
- Getting plenty of rest:
- minimum 6 and preferable 8 hours per night;
- avoiding or managing stress as signs of stress do show up on our skin too.
- Stopping Smoking: well, smoking is just bad news: it is said that 1 cigarette generates one quadrillion free radicals (bad guys that alter or destroy healthy cells)
The above are really basic eating guidelines for not just helping your skin’s health, but also your overall heath. However, skin is our largest organ that is exposed to all the environmental elements of pollution, heat, cold and what we put on our skin, so, ultimately, we need to clean, nourish and protect it.
I am someone who will not go to bed without taking my make up off (and, so far, there were no circumstances that would prevent me from it, which makes me think that perhaps my life is just not eventful enough 🙂 ) and I also start my day with a 3-5 minute skin ritual on top of brushing my teeth. Every Day. It is a built-in habit. I wake up, brush teeth, then cleanse, tone, misturise… 5 minutes tops. Developing good habits is the key for all aspects of healthy living and this is just one of many. And it is worth it!
So, what is my exact skin care ritual? Firstly, I only use Herbalife’s clinically proven Outer Nutrition called SKIN, or Herbalife SKIN, packed with over 15 vitamins and botanicals, sulphate and paraben free… I used many other brands in the past, however, at the age of 43, apart from a few wrinkles that are bound to start forming considering the age and stress caused by life itself, which includes having children (I am saying this in the nicest possible way and believe many parents will agree), my skin has fewer spots and more even tone than it had ten years ago.
Here are the products that form my morning and evening ritual and it takes less than five minutes, unless I apply a mask or exfoliate, which is once per week…
Every Day Skin Care:
- CLEANSE: My skin is Normal to Dry, so Soothing Aloe Cleanser is perfect, leaving my skin really soft, clean and clear. It is enriched with Vitamin B3, antioxidant vitamins C and E and Aloe Vera, which all in combination spell “good news”… For those with Normal to Oily skin, Polishing Citrus Cleanser would be ideal and, on top of ingredients contained in Aloe Cleanser, it also contains orange/grapefruit/ citrus oils, apple derived cleansing ingredients and jojoba esters…
- TONE: Energising Herbal Toner is aloe vera infused and alcohol free facial toner with mandarin citrus scent that helps close the pores and makes my skin feel very fresh. It is exclusively formulated with Vitamin B3, antioxidant Vitamins C and E, Aloe Vera and potassium alum. I just adore spraying it on my face. So refreshing.
- TARGET: Skin around the eyes is very delicate, does not contain sweat oil glands, making this area susceptible to dehydration. Firmin Eye Gel in the morning helps improve appearance of delicate eye area, increase skin’s firmness and elasticity, whilst Hydrating Eye Cream in the evening help improve appearance of delicate eye area, increase skin’s firmness and minimise the appearance of fine line and wrinkles. Apart from Vitamins B3, C and E and Aloe Vera – Eye Gel contains cucumber extract, whilst Eye Cream also contains cucumber extract, macadamia nut oil and peptide. 100% of the subjects showed significantly higher moisture levels over baseline after eight hours in clinical studies.
- MOISTURISE: I use all three moisturises: Daily Glow Moisturiser in the morning, Replenishing Night Cream in the evening and SPF 30 Protective Moisturiser when going out and under my foundation. Skin after each feels simply wonderful, it does not block the pores and, in clinical trials, skin showed in 100% subjects double the moisture levels. I can certainly vouch for superb hydration. Best creams ever! My mum is certainly a big fun of them too, including cleanser and a toner.
Weekly Skin Care:
Once per week, I also cleanse the skin by applying Instant Reveal Berry Scrub instead of Aloe Cleanser and then applying Purifying Mind Clay Mask for about 20 minutes. First one is a gentle exfoliant with blueberry seeds, Aloe and Vitamins B3, C and E, which leaves skin soft and smooth, it simply wakes it up. Second one is rich and creamy that has the absorbent and toning effects of bentonite clay to remove the dirt and absorb excess oil and also contains Vitamins B3, C and E, Aloe Vera, rosemary leaf oil and spearmint oil.
Want to give it a try? We have a perfect solution!
7 Day SKIN Results Kit is a perfect way to try our SKIN cleanser, eye creams and moisturisers before deciding whether to invest in the range. As products are tested clinically to show remarkable improvement in skin softness, smoothness, radiance, glow and luminosity in just 7 days, 7 Day Results Kit is a great starter. When the range came out a couple of years ago, it was my mum and I who tested it and we were astonished with the results, which are shown below, hence we decided to use it and never looked back:
Recently, I have also added Herbalife SKIN Collagen Booster, which, unfortunately is not available in the UK. It is a phenomenally tasting and formulated with Verisol® collagen which has been tested to show support of skin elasticity and the reduction of fine wrinkles. Bioactive Collagen Peptides® can reduce signs of cellulite. Contains Vitamins A (as beta-carotene), C and E, which help prevent harmful free radical cell damage that ages your skin. Supports strong nails and healthy hair with selenium, zinc and biotin. That is an additional element to my skin care and I am forever grateful to my friends in the USA who are able to send it to me for my personal use, hoping that it will get to the UK in the near future and collagen certainly seems to be the next buzz word in supplementation and nutrition.
I hope this helps and gives a good overview of the way I look after my skin. There could be a whole new article on what not to use for your skin (like wet wipes to wipe the face, just in case someone reading this is actually doing it), but I think that showing what actually works is way more powerful.
If you would like to give it a try, 7 Day Results Kit is a great starting point, so feel free to contact me for details and to obtain your pack. Of course, adjusting the diet is the first thing one must do and, if you need any help in that department, our Ideal Breakfast Trial Pack is a great way to trial our nutrition solutions!
Until then, look after your skin, you are worth it! 🙂