Eggs are a great source of protein, around 6 grams per egg, and all nine essential amino acids. They could also be an excellent source of choline and selenium, and a good source of vitamin D, vitamin B12, phosphorus and riboflavin. Poached eggs are a great way to enjoy them. I have never attempted poaching them until recently, however, have not done very well as they need to be very fresh and freshly bought does not necessarily mean fresh. I even got a special pan, but did not like the fact that eggs were sticking to it. Then some swear by adding vinegar to the water – I can not think of anything more revolting then for my eggs to taste of vinegar.
So, I am forever thankful to the maestro everyone knows, called Jamie Oliver, for coming up with poached egg parcels idea. By adding some veggies to it, they are quite an exquisite experience. I tried them today for the first time and they are a winner! I made egg muffins before, but this was even quicker and less messy.
- place a piece of cling film over a glass, cup or a small sieve
- break an egg into it
- add some chopped veg (I used spinach and red pepper)
- add salt, pepper and even chilli flakes to taste
- close the parcel and place in hot water
- for one egg alone – they are perfect at boiling for 3 minutes; 4 minutes or longer with veg
- take them out of a wrapper once done and enjoy on its own as a snack or as a part of a balanced meal
For more protein, I would suggest 1 egg and 2 egg whites per parcel (around 16-18 gr protein) and extending cooking time to 5-6 minutes.
My boys already ordered some today after school with cuts of turkey rushers in it. I bet it would go great with some smoked salmon too.
So, they are fun to make and delicious to eat.